Horsham Community First Responders
The scheme was set up in June 2007 and we now have 15 trained responders in the Horsham, Mannings Heath, Warnham and Slinfold areas, with another 2 currently going through training.
How Is The Group Organised?
In the group there are various roles:
- Charity committee members
All Responders are subject to a check by the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS)
We are a registered charity (registration number 1146844)
We organise our own:
- on-call rota, taking into account our own commitments
- mandatory and additional training
What Calls Do We Go To?
- Cardiac arrest
- Unconscious or collapsed patients
- Chest pain
- Breathing difficulties
- Minor trauma
- Medical emergencies such as convulsions, hypoglycaemia and anaphylaxis
Calls We Don't Go To
- Severe trauma
- Spinal injuries
- Industrial accidents
- Road traffic collisions
- Any accident involving violence of aggression
- Alcohol or drug related incidents
- Maternity of gynaecological emergencies
How Does It Work?
- We are alerted of an incident by ambulance control at the same time as they are dispatching an ambulance
- We mobilise and get to the scene as soon as possible, obeying speed limits
- We may get to the scene before the ambulance, and will give vital lifesaving treatment and prevent the patient from getting any worse
- We stay and work with the ambulance crew until told to stand down, providing care and reassurance to patients and relatives
What Area Do We Cover?
Who Can Join?
To volunteer as a responder you need to:
- Live in the local area
- Be over age 21
- Be fit to practice
- Pass a criminal records bureau (CRB) check
- Attend regular training and meetings
- Have your own transport
- Be able to attend a 2 day training course and assessment
- Be able to go triple-crewing with a local ambulance crew
What Else Could I Do To Help?
- Volunteer as a fundraiser
- Help with administration
- Offer help in kind e.g. printing leafletsw/posters etc
- Offer to have a collecting tin at your place of work or shop
- Organise a fundraising event at your place of work
- Allow members of your staff to attend incidents in working hours
- If you do internet shopping use easyfunding.org.uk and we will receive a donation at no extra cost to you. Easyfundraising is a shopping directory that features some of your favourite online stores, such as Next, Amazon and John Lewis. It is completely free to register and use and additional discounts may be available. All you need to do is visit: http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/horshamcommunityfr